Henry A. Knebel, Esq.
An attorney with extensive experience, Henry practices business law, real estate law, insurance regulatory law, real estate regulatory law, and litigation. He has experience with title insurance matters. He has testified as an expert witnesss for the California Department of Insurance and for private parties on title insurance.
With over thrity years experience representing both consumers and large and small business, insurance, real estate, and banking interests, he offers his clients a full range of services, including:
- Loans and foreclosures
- Purchases and Sales of Real Estate
- Purchases and Sales of Businesses
- RESPA Compliance (AfBAs)
- Creation and governance of new and emerging businesses
- Regulatory compliance for real estate service businesses
- Employee incentive plans and contracts
- Regulatory compliance for insurance enterprises
- Insurance company conservatorships and liquidations
- Land use, easements, and access rights
Before beginning his independent legal practice, he was the Western Division General Counsel of Chicago Title Corporation and Senior Vice President, General Counsel, and a director of Chicago Title Company of California, responsible for the legal affairs of the organization in the Western United States. Before joining Chicago Title, he was Senior Vice President, General Counsel, and Director of the Ticor Title Insurance Companies, one of the largest national underwriters of title insurance with over 7000 employees and 2000 agents. In his career with Ticor Title, he handled or supervised all the regulatory and general legal affairs of the Companies throughout the United States and Canada.
Henry has handled litigation in both Federal and State court, has appealed through the United States Supreme Court, negotiated and completed over 80 acquisitions and sales of businesses, developed the legal strategy for new business models (including e-commerce ventures), advised on business alliances, advised and negotiated the purchase or sale of over 25 buildings, and advised on all aspects of the corporate and insurance affairs of insurers and their agents.
- Purchase of Security Title Agency
- Purchase of Continental Home Warranty Company
- Purchase of Consolidated Reconveyance Company
- Sale of Los Angeles County Title Plant
- Sale of Seattle Title Plant
- Restructuring Dallas Title Plant
- Santa Clara County Title Plant
- Sale of Imperial County title and settlement service business
- Monterey County Title Plant
- Sale of Las Vegas, Nevada Operation and Title Plant
- Purchase of Escondido Escrow Company
- Purchase of WesTitle Agency
- Purchase of Beach Cities Escrow
- Sale of Monterey, California office building
- Sale of Portland, Oregon office building
- Sale of Madera County office building
- Sale of Santa Cruz office building
- Sale of Everett, Washington office building
- Joint Venture to develop 80,000 sq. ft. office building in Riverside, California
- Development of 80,000 sq. ft. office building in downtown San Diego
- Sale of 120,000 sq. ft. office building in San Bernardino
- Purchase of Bryson Escrow
- Purchase of United Title of Nevada
- Purchase of Westfall Real Estate Services of Denver, Colorado
- Counsel for Bridgespan Title Company
- Puresense General Counsel
- Represented from trial court through the United States Supreme Court the CEO of one of the largest workers compensation insurance company groups against the California Department of Insurance.
- Successfully represented homeowners against homeowners association in gated community, obtaining judgment against HOA.
- Successful litigation by co-owner of large mobile home park against ownership claims of residents.
- Successful litigation involving complicated easement rights claims in a private development.
- Successful litigation to obtain rights of access across multiple parcels for a quarry business.
- Defend sucessfully mortgage business against multiple lawsuits in both State and Federal Court involving foreclosure of loans.
- Defend architect against claims arising from multimillion project; obtained payment for architect.
- Collect commercial debts for aircraft supply and parts business.
- Obtain judgments against and evict commercial tenants from large commercial building.
- Stopped foreclosure because of false loan documents.
- Defense of construction business against claims of lack of access to private development.
Henry is a past President and Director of the Conference of Insurance Counsel and has spoken and written on foreclosures, electronic commerce, RESPA, insurance regulation, employment law, and corporate compliance matters. He has a JD from Tulane University School of Law and an undergraduate degree in engineering.